What is the invasion of privacy laws in Indiana?

Cincinnati, OH |

One day in a warehouse I was working, my boss picked up my cell phone knowing who's it was, took it into his office. He didn't ask who's it was or anything. I was only 30 Feet away working in another rack. He admitted going through my text. Was he wrong for doing that ,and what can I do about it?

1. Yes, he was wrong to do it. But what damages have you suffered that you want to recover if you sue him? For example, you'd have to show the judge that you suffered monetary damages caused by this in a dollar amount. If there is a specific law in your jurisdiction instantly allowing you damages for this type of conduct, you'd have to consult with a local attorney.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

2. You really should post this question on the Avvo board for Indiana lawyers. Laws can vary greatly from state to state. An Ohio attorney might tell you that you can a good cause of action, but perhaps under Indiana law -- or Illinois law, Kentucky law, etc. -- the answer might be something completely different.

If you want to find out what your options are under Indiana law, you need to reach out to attorneys with an Indiana law license.

Civil rights topics