What is the general amount someone (tenant) can sue a landlord for, when the LL commited fraud or misrepresentation to the tenan

Lodi, NJ |

What is the general amount someone (tenant) can sue a landlord for, when the LL commited fraud or misrepresentation to the tenant?

1. There is no "general amount" you sue for. Suits for damages are based on your actual damages - how much did you lose? That's what you sue for. In some cases, there are statutory multipliers (such as the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, which gives 3x damages). In other cases, attorney fees are recoverable for successful plaintiffs.

Without knowing a great deal more about your possible suit, it's impossible to be more specific. If you're contemplating a suit against your LL, you should consider speaking with an attorney.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.

2. I agree with my colleague. There is no general amount. Fraud could warrant treble or punitive damages. Attorneys' fees and costs may also be permitted depending on the facts of the case.

Many attorneys, such as myself, will offer you a free 30 minute consultation to discuss all of the details of your case and advise you of your options.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

3. As my colleagues have indicated, there is no statutory penalty for fraud. Rather, under the consumer fraud act - which is applicable in some cases to landlord tenant relationships - your actual damages would be tripled and the landlord would be made to pay your attorney fees.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

4. It is difficult to gauge any answer in terms of monetary damages. Compensatory damages would only cover you for any actual losses you suffered, which would likely be related to what the amount of rent you pay. While the Consumer Protection Act provides for triple damages, you haveto determine what the damages actually were. If you face eviction because of some violations by the landlord (such as having an illegal occupancy) you may be entitled to six months of rent for relocation assistance. But there is not enough information provided as to what your case is. Also be advised that a suit for fraud must be plead with specific facts not general allegations.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.