What is the general amount someone (tenant) can sue a landlord for, when the LL commited fraud or misrepresentation to the tenan

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lodi, NJ

What is the general amount someone (tenant) can sue a landlord for, when the LL commited fraud or misrepresentation to the tenant?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There is no "general amount" you sue for. Suits for damages are based on your actual damages - how much did you lose? That's what you sue for. In some cases, there are statutory multipliers (such as the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, which gives 3x damages). In other cases, attorney fees are recoverable for successful plaintiffs.

    Without knowing a great deal more about your possible suit, it's impossible to be more specific. If you're contemplating a suit against your LL, you should consider speaking with an attorney.

    The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As my colleagues have indicated, there is no statutory penalty for fraud. Rather, under the consumer fraud act - which is applicable in some cases to landlord tenant relationships - your actual damages would be tripled and the landlord would be made to pay your attorney fees.

    If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with my colleague. There is no general amount. Fraud could warrant treble or punitive damages. Attorneys' fees and costs may also be permitted depending on the facts of the case.

    Many attorneys, such as myself, will offer you a free 30 minute consultation to discuss all of the details of your case and advise you of your options.

    Good luck.

    The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is difficult to gauge any answer in terms of monetary damages. Compensatory damages would only cover you for any actual losses you suffered, which would likely be related to what the amount of rent you pay. While the Consumer Protection Act provides for triple damages, you haveto determine what the damages actually were. If you face eviction because of some violations by the landlord (such as having an illegal occupancy) you may be entitled to six months of rent for relocation assistance. But there is not enough information provided as to what your case is. Also be advised that a suit for fraud must be plead with specific facts not general allegations.

    DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you... more

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now