What is the functional difference between "signed under oath" and signed under "verification" in the state of CA?

Asked about 2 years ago - Palo Alto, CA

I am in pro per and wanted to double check something. In a response to Request for Admissions, CCP 2030.210. (a) indicates that they must be signed "under oath". But it also appears that they need to be signed under "verification." Is that correct? Does a responding party need to both sign "under oath" and "verify" such that they sign the response twice? Can anyone explain what the difference between "under oath" and a "verification" is? Can you somehow combine the two such that you only have to execute one signature? And does this requirement also extend to responses to Form Interrogatories? Its not fully clear to me.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

1

Answered . You are really referring to the same thing. A verification form is typically a declaration under penalty of perjury (i.e. under oath) that the responses are true and correct.

Yes, all responses to written discovery (interrogatories, document demands, request for admissions) must be verified.

2. Paul Y. Lee

3

Answered . In the context of written discovery, "verification" and "signed under oath" are the same. All discovery responses, including interrogatories, requests for admission, and request for production of documents, should be verified by the responding party.

3. James Michael Slominski

1

Answered . I agree with other counsel. The verification usually says something along the following lines: "The undersigned has reviewed the attached responses to form interrogatories and hereby declares under the penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that they are true and correct. Executed this 14th day of September 2012 at Palo Alto, Ca." You then sign it.