What is the form i need to terminate parental rights of my children's father in the state of California

Asked over 1 year ago - Irwindale, CA

My children's father is badly on drugs and is a danger to himself and my children. He has never provided for them, and is also in and out of prison. He has previous domestic violence cases and i feel that he is a bad influence for our children. So what is the form that i need for him to voluntary give up his parental rights?

1. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . If you are not married to another man, there can be no adoption, but you can file and Order to Show Cause FL300, Fl150 to restrict his rights of visitation and use of drugs or alcohol in the presence of the minor children. It would be best to use an Attorney, if you can ot afford one try legal aid

2. Linda Calderon Garrett

Pro

Answered . The answer depends on the following: 1) is there a current custody/visitation order; 2) were you ever married to the father? For example, if there is no custody/visitation order and you never married the father, there is nothing to "terminate" because, legally, he has no parental rights. If on the other hand, there is a current custody order, then you would file a motion (FL-300 and FL-310) asking for a modification of custody and visitation. Depending on what you can PROVE to the court--with evidence, the court may agree with you that there should be no visits. In most cases, however, the court will order supervised visits for dad.

In order to terminate father's parental rights, you would need to prove to the court that the father has, in a nutshell, abandoned the child by making no attempts to make contact with the child.

If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, some options are as follows: 1) free legal aid; 2) the family facilitator (located at your local courthouse), 2) an experienced attorney qualified to provide legal coaching services.

Good luck!