What is the form i need to terminate parental rights of my children's father in the state of California

Asked over 1 year ago - Irwindale, CA

My children's father is badly on drugs and is a danger to himself and my children. He has never provided for them, and is also in and out of prison. He has previous domestic violence cases and i feel that he is a bad influence for our children. So what is the form that i need for him to voluntary give up his parental rights?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are not married to another man, there can be no adoption, but you can file and Order to Show Cause FL300, Fl150 to restrict his rights of visitation and use of drugs or alcohol in the presence of the minor children. It would be best to use an Attorney, if you can ot afford one try legal aid

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more
  2. Linda Calderon Garrett


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The answer depends on the following: 1) is there a current custody/visitation order; 2) were you ever married to the father? For example, if there is no custody/visitation order and you never married the father, there is nothing to "terminate" because, legally, he has no parental rights. If on the other hand, there is a current custody order, then you would file a motion (FL-300 and FL-310) asking for a modification of custody and visitation. Depending on what you can PROVE to the court--with evidence, the court may agree with you that there should be no visits. In most cases, however, the court will order supervised visits for dad.

    In order to terminate father's parental rights, you would need to prove to the court that the father has, in a nutshell, abandoned the child by making no attempts to make contact with the child.

    If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, some options are as follows: 1) free legal aid; 2) the family facilitator (located at your local courthouse), 2) an experienced attorney qualified to provide legal coaching services.

    Good luck!

    PLEASE READ--before emailing, commenting or calling: As a rule, I do not respond to "comments" that are designed... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,491 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,491 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering