What is the Florida Law for reimbursement of child's uncovered health-care costs?

My ex wife and I do not have a good relationship when it comes to dealing with important stuff related to our kids. I have tried my best but she's not willing to have a peaceful communication/relationship for the betterment of our daughters (one 17 another 13). The other day we had a verbal argument and she mentioned that she has around $7,000 of uncovered medical expenses from previous years that she can obligate me to pay. The modification filed in 2009 states that I am responsible for 40% and she is for 60% of all uncovered expenses. Is there any law in Florida that requires the custodial parent to provide any medical bill within 30 days or so? Can she legally stockpile bills and then submit them to court?

Miami, FL -

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Child Support Lawyer - Orlando, FL

Usually there is a provision within the settlement agreement or final order that states that the party incurring the fee is to submit the bill to the other party within so many days [commonly 30 days] for reimbursement of the percentage owed [in your case, 40%].

Either way, it is very likely you may have to pay your 40% portion of the medical expenses especially if she files a motion for contempt but an attorney would have to review your case.

William Charles Rosenfelt

William Charles Rosenfelt

Child Support Lawyer - Longwood, FL

Sure you can file a motion to request that they provided in a timely fashion. Sounds like a good idea.
You might even be able to amend the last judgment for that purpose.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Richard Scott Chizever

Richard Scott Chizever

Child Support Lawyer - Miami, FL

You might have a defense called latches that would bar her from collecting the bills incurred many years ago because she waited too long. You really need to speak to an attorney. Going to court on this issue could cost you especially if found in contempt. You might be responsible for her attorney's fees as well. Call myself or a colleague to help you out. We deal with this every day.

Natalie F Guerra-Valdes

Natalie F Guerra-Valdes

Family Law Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

You need to review your settlement agreement and see if it contains a provision for submission of medical bills within a certain time frame. There is no Florida law that requires a party to submit the medical bills within a certain number of days. If you are responsible for 40% of the medical bills, then you will probably end up having to pay your portion of the bills.

Related Advice