What is the first thing we should do in order to apply for citizen paperwork?

Asked 11 months ago - Hyattsville, MD

Have been with my husband for 2 years now and we have 2 kids and I want to help my husband to become a citizen here in the US. I would like to know what we have to do and what would be the average amount of money we would have to put down in order to get this done?

1. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

4

Answered . Many people mistakenly use the word "citizen" and "resident/green card" interchangeably. They are not synonymous. It sounds like you are asking about a green card because he would not need your help to become a citizen. A green card is an involved process. You will need to discuss it with an experienced immigration lawyer.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . Kindly note that a foreign national has to first become a "lawful permanent resident" (LPR) before being able to file for citizenship some years later. To learn the procedure and how it applies to your husband's particular situation and immigration history, you'll need to consult with an immigration attorney in person.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Read the instructions to form N400

4. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

2

Answered . Talk to an immigration lawyer individually. Most of us offer a free consultation for marriage-based cases. You can read about various immigration processes on our website: http://islawfirm.com/immigration-law/

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369
    www.islawfirm.com

5. Lynne Rogers Feldman

1

Answered . He can file for his U.S. citizenship 90 days before his 3 year anniversary assuming he is eligible. The filing fee is $680 (although there are waivers if finances are tight). You may contact any immigration attorney to get a fee quote for their fees to assist you.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    website: www.immigrateme.com