What is the first thing we should do in order to apply for citizen paperwork?

Asked 11 months ago - Hyattsville, MD

Have been with my husband for 2 years now and we have 2 kids and I want to help my husband to become a citizen here in the US. I would like to know what we have to do and what would be the average amount of money we would have to put down in order to get this done?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many people mistakenly use the word "citizen" and "resident/green card" interchangeably. They are not synonymous. It sounds like you are asking about a green card because he would not need your help to become a citizen. A green card is an involved process. You will need to discuss it with an experienced immigration lawyer.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Kindly note that a foreign national has to first become a "lawful permanent resident" (LPR) before being able to file for citizenship some years later. To learn the procedure and how it applies to your husband's particular situation and immigration history, you'll need to consult with an immigration attorney in person.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Read the instructions to form N400

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  4. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to an immigration lawyer individually. Most of us offer a free consultation for marriage-based cases. You can read about various immigration processes on our website: http://islawfirm.com/immigration-law/

    Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369

    The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.... more
  5. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He can file for his U.S. citizenship 90 days before his 3 year anniversary assuming he is eligible. The filing fee is $680 (although there are waivers if finances are tight). You may contact any immigration attorney to get a fee quote for their fees to assist you.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,121 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,121 answers this week

3,159 attorneys answering