What is the first thing we should do in order to apply for citizen paperwork?

Hyattsville, MD |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Have been with my husband for 2 years now and we have 2 kids and I want to help my husband to become a citizen here in the US. I would like to know what we have to do and what would be the average amount of money we would have to put down in order to get this done?

1. Many people mistakenly use the word "citizen" and "resident/green card" interchangeably. They are not synonymous. It sounds like you are asking about a green card because he would not need your help to become a citizen. A green card is an involved process. You will need to discuss it with an experienced immigration lawyer.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Kindly note that a foreign national has to first become a "lawful permanent resident" (LPR) before being able to file for citizenship some years later. To learn the procedure and how it applies to your husband's particular situation and immigration history, you'll need to consult with an immigration attorney in person.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Read the instructions to form N400

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

4. He can file for his U.S. citizenship 90 days before his 3 year anniversary assuming he is eligible. The filing fee is $680 (although there are waivers if finances are tight). You may contact any immigration attorney to get a fee quote for their fees to assist you.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    website: www.immigrateme.com

5. Talk to an immigration lawyer individually. Most of us offer a free consultation for marriage-based cases. You can read about various immigration processes on our website: http://islawfirm.com/immigration-law/

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369
    www.islawfirm.com

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.