Skip to main content

What is the first thing I need to do to get ready for divorce?

Smithtown, NY |

I am a stay at home mom with a 16 year old and a 20 year old special needs child. How do I get started? I have no money of my own.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


The first step is to research experienced divorce attorneys in your area. Please see the link below for tips on finding the right attorney. Best of luck.


Call an attorney for a free consultation to get started. You are entitled to child support, medical coverage, equitable division of marital assets. You may be entitled to legal fees and spousal maintenance.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You can call the Suffolk County Bar Association at 631-234-5511 for a recommendation on a local attorney who practices Matrimonial Law.

If you retain an attorney, they may file a motion with the court wherein your husband is required to pay your attorney's fees and/or make payments for your support during the proceeding. This would depend on a number of factors, including the length of the marriage, respective incomes, etc..

Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure Defense, Consumer Defense and other areas of general practice primarily in Suffolk & Nassau County. His office, Alarcon Law Firm, practices only in New York State and offers the best attorney rates in the Long Island area. His office may be reached at (631) 867-2348.


The first thing you should understand is that the family's money belongs to you as much as it does your husband. Contact and meet with a divorce attorney in your area. Many of them offer free or low cost initial consultations. I think you will find the advice well worth the cost.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.


Contact a local divorce attorney and explain the situation. Your spouse will likely end up paying your legal costs.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


Pragmatically, raise enough money to hire a capable attorney who will be able to represent you up through a trial if necessary. Everything else will fall into place.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer