What is the first thing I need to do to get ready for divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Smithtown, NY

I am a stay at home mom with a 16 year old and a 20 year old special needs child. How do I get started? I have no money of my own.

1. Rory M. Alarcon

7

Answered . You can call the Suffolk County Bar Association at 631-234-5511 for a recommendation on a local attorney who practices Matrimonial Law.

If you retain an attorney, they may file a motion with the court wherein your husband is required to pay your attorney's fees and/or make payments for your support during the proceeding. This would depend on a number of factors, including the length of the marriage, respective incomes, etc..

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

5

Answered . Call an attorney for a free consultation to get started. You are entitled to child support, medical coverage, equitable division of marital assets. You may be entitled to legal fees and spousal maintenance.

3. Marco Caviglia

5

Answered . Pragmatically, raise enough money to hire a capable attorney who will be able to represent you up through a trial if necessary. Everything else will fall into place.

4. Scheherazade B Rastegar-Djavahery

6

Answered . The first step is to research experienced divorce attorneys in your area. Please see the link below for tips on finding the right attorney. Best of luck.

5. Anneshia Miller Grant

Pro

6

Answered . The first thing you should understand is that the family's money belongs to you as much as it does your husband. Contact and meet with a divorce attorney in your area. Many of them offer free or low cost initial consultations. I think you will find the advice well worth the cost.

6. David Alexander Browde

Pro

4

Answered . Contact a local divorce attorney and explain the situation. Your spouse will likely end up paying your legal costs.