What is the fine for driving with expired insurance card in NYC? Also, if able to provide new one after receiving ticket?

Staten Island, NY |

Got pulled over didn't have new insurance card. Have it at home . Can new one be shown and ticket thrown out?

1. The real issue is whether or not there was insurance in effect at the time the vehicle was bein operated on the road. Not having a valid card isn't a big deal at all. You could mail in the summons and plead not guilty with a copy of the valid insurance card. The DMV will easily be able to ascertain if there was insurance in effect at the time the summons was issued. If there was they could dismiss the ticket for you. alternatively you may havetomappear at the traffic violations bureau and they would check it out for you at that time.

2. You can't show the card. You will need a letter from your insurance comp showing you had valid ins on the day the ticket was issued. Then it will be dismissed.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. Some Courts will accept the card showing continuous coverage: others will require a letter from your insurance company. You're safest with the card and the letter indicating continuous coverage.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Stewart & Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldstewart.com

4. Driving without proof of valid insurance under VTL section 319 is an unclassified misdemeanor. If you are found guilty of this charge, you will have a permanent criminal record that cannot be erased or expunged. It can also lead to a one year license revocation and civil penalties of $750 over the fine.

If you try to handle this by yourself, make sure you have a letter from the insurance company. What was the basis for being pulled over?

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office and adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com

5. No your ticket cannot be dismissed by proffering an insurance card at trial. In addition, if you are found guilty, whether or not you are guilty, your license will be revoked for 1 year. Our office has never lost a case like this whereby the person actually had insurance but was charged with driving without insurance.