What is the financial responsibility that comes with green card sponsorship? please read the details.

Dallas, TX |

I am a US citizen and I'm trying to complete all the needed forms to sponsor my mom, including form I-485 because she is in the US. Two weeks ago, I had to take my mom to the emergency room because I thought that she had a stroke, but thankfully it ended up to be Bill's Palsy. My mom doesn't have medical insurance in the US, so the hospital said that they typically try to collect, but they end up writing the charges off. My questions are
1. Will this event affect any of this process?
2. Could that eventually affect my credit because I'm sponsoring her?
3. Will I be liable for that bill or any future ER bills if I submit form I-864?
4. After getting the green card, can I apply for Medicare or Medicate for her to be used for emergencies like this in the future?
Thank you

by signing the I-864, you take on the responsibility to support your dependent. They cannot get means tested public benefit - medicaid is one of them. Pay the bill as the I-485 asks whether mom has ever received public benefits. The instructions to the I-864 are very clear. Speak to an attorney regarding the process and what to expect.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

But she doesn't qualify for Medicaid because she is only visiting at this point. Are you saying that even if she doesn't qualify for Medicaid, just by going to the ER is still considered means-tested public benefits?

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

if she gets medicaid to cover the bill, then yes. if she goes to the ER and medicaid is not involved with covering the bill, then no.

By signing the affidavit of support you take on the responsibility to support your mom, but it shouldn't affect your credit. The affidavit of support is used to ensure that green card holders do not need public assistance - that includes Medicaid and other public welfare programs. Make sure you read all the instructions on the forms and consult an immigration attorney if you have any questions.

www.gassonlaw.com - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Medicaid said that she doesn't qualify for this program because she is only visiting at this point and she is not a resident . That said, will the ER bill be considered means-tested public benefits? and will it become my responsibility if I sign the I-864 form? Thank you

Kristina A. Gasson

Kristina A. Gasson

If the ER pays the bill then it won't be considered public benefits unless you sign something saying that you are applying for public assistance. I would research low-cost insurance for her since she will be a US resident. You are agreeing to support her, so you should pay the bill, but technically they can't sue you to collect the debt, but they can go after her. I'd just see what happens when the bill comes and see if you can get a payment plan or a reduction.

I agree with my colleagues

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104