Skip to main content

What is the financial responsibility that comes with green card sponsorship? please read the details.

Dallas, TX |

I am a US citizen and I'm trying to complete all the needed forms to sponsor my mom, including form I-485 because she is in the US. Two weeks ago, I had to take my mom to the emergency room because I thought that she had a stroke, but thankfully it ended up to be Bill's Palsy. My mom doesn't have medical insurance in the US, so the hospital said that they typically try to collect, but they end up writing the charges off. My questions are
1. Will this event affect any of this process?
2. Could that eventually affect my credit because I'm sponsoring her?
3. Will I be liable for that bill or any future ER bills if I submit form I-864?
4. After getting the green card, can I apply for Medicare or Medicate for her to be used for emergencies like this in the future?
Thank you

Attorney Answers 3

  1. by signing the I-864, you take on the responsibility to support your dependent. They cannot get means tested public benefit - medicaid is one of them. Pay the bill as the I-485 asks whether mom has ever received public benefits. The instructions to the I-864 are very clear. Speak to an attorney regarding the process and what to expect.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  2. By signing the affidavit of support you take on the responsibility to support your mom, but it shouldn't affect your credit. The affidavit of support is used to ensure that green card holders do not need public assistance - that includes Medicaid and other public welfare programs. Make sure you read all the instructions on the forms and consult an immigration attorney if you have any questions. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

  3. I agree with my colleagues

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics