What is the fastest way to modify a divorce settlement if both parties agree to the terms?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sanford, ME

We were ordered to sell the jointly owned house and I was supposed to stay in it and pay the mortgage until the house sells. We did not realize the value of the house fell drastically, so the only way to sell it now would be a short sale. Instead we decided it would be better if my ex-husband moves in to the house and refinances it in his name only, but we need to modify the divorce settlement in order for him to refinance. We both agree to the terms, so there is no need for court hearing. How can we modify the settlement as soon as possible?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Joe Lewis

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You may file a Stipulated Order Amending Divorce Judgment with the court. Indicate the change that you are seeking, indicate that nothing else about the original order should be changed, indicate that the parties are in agreement and that no hearing is necessary, make sure you both sign it.

    Good luck with your situation. If you believe you may wish to hire a lawyer to help, please feel free to contact... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,115 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,115 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering