What is the fastest way for me to become a United States citizen?

Asked over 5 years ago - Chicago, IL

Hello, I was brought into the United States illegally at the age of 3(1990) I am now 19 years old and me and my girlfriend of 3 years are planing on getting married. After getting married what should be my next steps and how long before i become legal? Would i have to leave the country.

1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Answered . This gets complicated. Whether you may qualify to pay a penalty and process in the U.S. This issue should be discussed with an experienced immigration and visa attorney before you decide whether to leave the U.S.

If you are over 18 years old, then you can trigger the unlawful presence bar and may not be allowed to lawfully return for ten years. I recommend that you discuss this matter with an experienced immigration and visa attorney.

The challenge is whether you will ever be allowed to get your permanent resident status based upon your marriage, even if your wife is a U.S. Citizen.

The above is general information not meant to be legal advice. The above reply does not create an attorney-client relationship.