What is the eviction procedure in Michigan?

Allen Park, MI |

My friend was given a 30 day notice to quit July 11th signed by the district manager. It was not signed by a judge. Eviction came after my friend reported two burglaries. She wants to leave; doesn't feel safe. She needs more time to relocate.
There is no lease. There have been no issues before the burglaries. Police determined an inside job; no forced entry.
If a judge's signature is needed, when does 30 days begin - July 11 or date judge orders?
.

Your friend has a month to month lease and therefore can be asked to move out with 30 days notice in writing. If she doesn't move out then the court process would begin shortly there after. Your friend should call an attorney to discuss her legal rights.

Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
586-580-1943
Free Consultations

Disclaimer: no attorney-client relationship has been made. Please consult an attorney about your legal rights.

As a general rule, on a 'no lease'/at will/month to month only requires 30 days notice in writing. Check Michigan's easy to read handbook at http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/tenantlandlord.pdf

SInce your friend wants to leave, shouldn't be a problem. A judge would only be involved if your friend was being kicked out, or evicted. Here, it appears the lease is simply being terminated--on a month to month with no lease, either party can terminate the lease for any reason on proper notice, which it sounds like your friend got.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.