Skip to main content

What is the easiest way for an inmate to request a transfer to another facility?

Brownwood, TX |

Can an inmate in TDC request a transfer to another facility for educational purposes? My husband is currently in Middleton unit, they offer no educational or vocational programs. He would like to get transferred to a facility that offers some kind of training. How could he go about doing this?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. He can make the request to the warden of the facility. Transfer is solely at the discretion of TDCJ and availability of space at the other facility. They may not admit him into a program until he gets closer to his release date. Good Luck

    Answers provided on Avvo does not form an attorney-client relationship or indicate that the attorney represents or even will represent the client. Responses to questions are provided and based upon the facts as stated in the question. While attorneys attempt to make a complete and accurate response, there is no guaranty or warranty that the response is correct. You are encouraged to seek qualified counsel, licensed in the state(s) which have jurisdiction over the matters for advice. You are also encouraged to be careful as to your postings as the postings are not confidential.

  2. Generally, TDCJ does not grant requests to tranfer for the reasons you mention; that assessment would have been done during diagnostic based on his offense, history, and information that he provided. You might contact the Ombudsman to discuss whether there is a better way to go about making such a request and whether he would qualify.

    Cynthia Henley

  3. I agree with the previous answer concerning meeting with the Ombudsman to get assistance. Additionally you can meet with an attorney practicing Parole law to get some better direction on how to proceed.

    Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 254-699-3755 to make an appointment or visit his website at for more information about his services.