Skip to main content

What is the easiest and fastest way to become a US citizen without a green card?

Albuquerque, NM |

I'm a foreign student in the US... I'm not a healthcare professional, don't have any property in the US, don't have an American boyfriend / family etc... I have nothing!!! I am over 18 years old. Then is it pretty much impossible? I'm from a rich country so I can't be a refugee I guess. What can I do? I read that if I have ties to Samoa or other US-ish islands, that counts? Is that like I can buy a piece of land or something there? I don't have too much money, though. I also read if I am a health care professional (?), I can enroll in US military to get citizenship. But that means go to war?! Are there non-dangerous positions? But how long would I have to stay in the military? I didn't even think military hired foreigners... any answers / suggestions appreciated.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You must have a a greencard (lawful permanent resident status) first to be able to apply for U.S. Citizenship. To correct some of your statements:
One can be a refugee from a rich country as long as they can prove that they would or have suffered persecution based on their religion, political opinion, race, nationality or membership in a social group.
No, Joining the military will not get you a greencard nor U.S. citizenship and you cannot join the military unless you have at least a greencard anyway.
Its not that you would have ties to U.S. islands/territories, you'd have to be born there, just like being born in the U.S.

Generally Foreign Students on F-1 Visas, go to OPT, and then try to find a company to sponsor them for an H1-B work visa, and later try to get the same or another company to sponsor them for a greencard and then after 5 years apply for U.S. Citizenship.

Speak with an immigration attorney about your options.

Andre Olivie, Esq.

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You cannot become a US citizen without first having the green card.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Mr. Olivie provided you with an excellent answer.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer