What is the divorce process in New York if both have not lived together for 10 years ?

Asked 4 months ago - Syracuse, NY

She resides now in Michigan we still speak occasionally no hard feelings we just both have not the money to hire a lawyer (well i know i do not ). Tried calling Legal Aid but they are so backed up here in New York and Michigan . I am disabled and she works . (no clue what she does or how much she makes ) She has brought the subject up only once that i can recall and that was years ago because as she said neither one of us plans of ever getting married again . I ask only because it would probably be best if it was somehow made final . I am really at a loss as to how to proceed . We were married about 20 years when we broke up . I have no assets or retirement and live on a small disability check .

1. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

2

Best Answer

Answered . You would still have to initiate a divorce by filing and serving a summons and complaint. Your wife can admit service so that you don't need to spend money on a process server. You can get all the required forms and instructions at your county's supreme court building or online.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . You can try to do it yourself. You can find the forms on nycourts.gov

3. Edwin Drantivy

1

Answered . Unfortunately if you cannot find any professional help, you will have to fill out the forms yourself. The Court will not do it for you. Save up for representation.