What is the divorce process in Georgia for an uncontested divorce with no children and no common good?

Lilburn, GA |

My wife and I just filed for divorce and paid the fees. It's an uncontested divorce with no children and no common good. I want to know how soon am I gonna be divorced. And she insisted on being the plaintiff I don't know why . So is there a problem because of that and how long should I wait ? We both live and filed in Georgia. And also how the court date should be handle by me?

1. If your appendix burst would you have saved money and done your own surgery? I am constantly amazed that people will go into court, sign things they don't understand, and then think all will be fine. Pro se cases often go very badly. Forms are often inadequate and people make mistakes doing them. Since no one here has seen the paperwork you signed, we have no way to know what may happen to you or when. With a lawyer in your county, and that would have cost but a few hundred dollars, neither of you would have attended court and you'd be done in 31 days. The judges there usually make pro se litigants come to court. Since you're the defendant you have no control over the process and may miss notices about it. And as I said, you'll have a court date that was avoidable. Show a lawyer a copy of what you signed to see if you are okay or will have problems or delays.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman)

2. You should consult with an attorney immediately. Representing yourself can be okay, but the advice of a lawyer can significantly help you ensure your rights are being protected to the fullest extent. It is better to do that now as opposed to asking to change it after it is final.

All information Aisha provides on avvo.com is provided is for informational purposes only. Her response is based upon the facts that are presented by the author and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Please contact Aisha directly at 404.409.1578 or info@abc-familylaw.com if you would like to arrange for a consultation.

3. When I hear about these situations, I have to ask whether a settlement agreement was filed and, if so, what the content is. A judge will want to see a complete settlement agreement. And since your wife is the plaintiff, it is up to her to submit a final affidavit or schedule a hearing after 30 days.