What is the divorce process in Georgia for an uncontested divorce with no children and no common good?

Asked 5 months ago - Lilburn, GA

My wife and I just filed for divorce and paid the fees. It's an uncontested divorce with no children and no common good. I want to know how soon am I gonna be divorced. And she insisted on being the plaintiff I don't know why . So is there a problem because of that and how long should I wait ? We both live and filed in Georgia. And also how the court date should be handle by me?

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

Answered . If your appendix burst would you have saved money and done your own surgery? I am constantly amazed that people will go into court, sign things they don't understand, and then think all will be fine. Pro se cases often go very badly. Forms are often inadequate and people make mistakes doing them. Since no one here has seen the paperwork you signed, we have no way to know what may happen to you or when. With a lawyer in your county, and that would have cost but a few hundred dollars, neither of you would have attended court and you'd be done in 31 days. The judges there usually make pro se litigants come to court. Since you're the defendant you have no control over the process and may miss notices about it. And as I said, you'll have a court date that was avoidable. Show a lawyer a copy of what you signed to see if you are okay or will have problems or delays.

2. Aisha Blanchard Collins

Pro

2

Answered . You should consult with an attorney immediately. Representing yourself can be okay, but the advice of a lawyer can significantly help you ensure your rights are being protected to the fullest extent. It is better to do that now as opposed to asking to change it after it is final.

3. Adrian Kaspar Pritchett

Answered . When I hear about these situations, I have to ask whether a settlement agreement was filed and, if so, what the content is. A judge will want to see a complete settlement agreement. And since your wife is the plaintiff, it is up to her to submit a final affidavit or schedule a hearing after 30 days.