What is the divorce process and consequences on my immigration status if i file for divorce?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bogota, NJ

I am 10y valid GC holder been in NJ for 2 months now i haven't received my SSN yet. In this two months i have figured out that i can not live with my husband(who sponsored me from India) who spend all his money in gambling and pays 0 attention to me or our marriage. i want to get divorce and move to Portland with my sister as soon as possible what are my options

1. Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Pro

4

Answered . I don't understand why, with a 10- year green card, you don't have a social security card. That makes no sense.

You should consult with an immigration attorney. If you are a lawful permanent resident (with no conditions), a divorce should not adversely affect your status, depending on the language contained in the complaint.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

Answered . More information is necessary. Did you get a 10 year green card recently because you had been married for more than 2 years when you arrived with a green card? If so, are under no obligation to live with your husband and a divorce should not affect your immigration, unless USCIS thinks you lied about your marriage when you apply for citizenship. If that is not the case, then something doesn't make sense. Either way, it is worth it for you to consult with an immigration lawyer to make sure everything is clear and you do not make a bad mistake

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

4

Answered . What you are saying does not make sense. If you have a green card for 10 years, you should have a SSN. If you only had a green card for 2 months, you can file for divorce but then will need a waiver. Consult an immigration attorney.

4. Asma Warsi Chaudry

1

Answered . Is your husband is preventing you from getting a social security number? If yest, you can apply for a card at your local office in person. If you want to move to Portland and file for divorce, that should not have an impact on your LPR status. It is highly recommended that you at least consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure that there are no issues that have not been reviewed.

5. Leonard Roy Boyer

Answered . What you are saying makes no sense. You should already have a Social Security number, if you have a green card. You need to see a local immigration and divorce attorney, and provide more facts.

6. Jennifer Hanna

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys, but would add that you should definitely consult with a local family law attorney before moving out of state since the logistics of a divorce may be much simpler if you file for divorce while you're still a resident of New Jersey.