What is the divorce process and consequences on my immigration status if i file for divorce?

Bogota, NJ |

I am 10y valid GC holder been in NJ for 2 months now i haven't received my SSN yet. In this two months i have figured out that i can not live with my husband(who sponsored me from India) who spend all his money in gambling and pays 0 attention to me or our marriage. i want to get divorce and move to Portland with my sister as soon as possible what are my options

What you are saying does not make sense. If you have a green card for 10 years, you should have a SSN. If you only had a green card for 2 months, you can file for divorce but then will need a waiver. Consult an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham alexuspshamesq@gmail.com (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I don't understand why, with a 10- year green card, you don't have a social security card. That makes no sense.

You should consult with an immigration attorney. If you are a lawful permanent resident (with no conditions), a divorce should not adversely affect your status, depending on the language contained in the complaint.

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: ssvosbikian@voslaw.com - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site: www.voslaw.com

I havent recived the SSC yet. Do i need to stay with husband till i recive it? Am i able to move in with my sister in portland becasue i do not want to stay with my husband anymore plz help

More information is necessary. Did you get a 10 year green card recently because you had been married for more than 2 years when you arrived with a green card? If so, are under no obligation to live with your husband and a divorce should not affect your immigration, unless USCIS thinks you lied about your marriage when you apply for citizenship. If that is not the case, then something doesn't make sense. Either way, it is worth it for you to consult with an immigration lawyer to make sure everything is clear and you do not make a bad mistake

What you are saying makes no sense. You should already have a Social Security number, if you have a green card. You need to see a local immigration and divorce attorney, and provide more facts.

Without meeting with you, and knowing all the facts and circumstances of your case, my opinion is not to be construed as legal advice, just general educational information.

Is your husband is preventing you from getting a social security number? If yest, you can apply for a card at your local office in person. If you want to move to Portland and file for divorce, that should not have an impact on your LPR status. It is highly recommended that you at least consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make sure that there are no issues that have not been reviewed.

The information you obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Asma Chaudry invites you to contact her directly and welcomes your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting Asma Chaudry does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to her until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. asma@asmachaudry.com (732) 662-4125

I agree with the other attorneys, but would add that you should definitely consult with a local family law attorney before moving out of state since the logistics of a divorce may be much simpler if you file for divorce while you're still a resident of New Jersey.