WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RESIDENTIAL BURGLARY AND COMMERCIAL BURGLARY

Asked almost 2 years ago - Rodeo, CA

WHAT DOES IT MEAN UNINHABITED AND INHABITED DWELLINGS

1. Robert Laurens Driessen

3

Answered . It is pretty simple. Is the dwelling designed to be a place where people live – residential. If designed for commercial purposes – commercial. I feel you are going to try to claim that the house was unoccupied and therefore not residential, it’s a thought but will not work. Get an attorney.
    Robert Driessen

2. Shawn Michael Haggerty

2

Answered . Someone resides there or does not. The statutes are specific. Break into a home INHABITED. Break inot a wherehouse where no person resides UNINHABITED.

3. Douglas Holbrook

2

Answered . The distinction between 1st degree burglary, residential, and the less serious 2nd degree burglary, turns upon whether the structure entered is inhabited or not . Second-degree burglary, also known as commercial burglary, is generally charged when one is accused of entering a business establishment to commit a crime inside the business; typically theft.

Further, CalCrim No. 1701 on burglary degrees, a residence is considered inhabited "if someone uses it as a dwelling, whether or not someone is inside at the time of the alleged entry."

I hope that helps.