What is the difference between MARYLAND JUDICIARY CASE SEARCH and the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) ?

Silver Spring, MD |

So I had my record expunged. The case no longer appears when I search on md judiciary case search. Is it ok to assume that the record is removed from CJIS? If a background investigation is conducted will the record show up?

1. Case Search is the court's public information online. CJIS is the record of charges and convictions maintained by Public Safety. They're related, but not the same thing. Criminal background checks might be done through either, both, and anyone's private database too.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.

2. You should not assume anything. If the matter was expunged, you should have received a Certificate of Compliance from each agency identified in the petition for Expungement that the matter has been expunged

I am pleased to communicate with you concerning legal matters. However, if you communicate with me through this website regarding a matter for which my firm DOES NOT ALREADY REPRESENT YOU, your communication may NOT be treated as privileged or confidential, and shall NOT be deemed to create an attorney/client relationship. Furthermore, you should NOT provide confidential information to my law firm in an e-mail inquiry or otherwise unless we have FIRST entered into a representation agreement.

3. The MD expungement process includes clearing the CJIS of the entries on this charge. The MD State Police manages the CJIS and receives the expungement order and must comply with the request. When you receive the notice of compliance with the expungment order from the court, then you know all records, including the CJIS, have been cleared. Be aware that expungement does not reach FBI records, so any background check by a federal agency will show the charge because the FBI performs those checks.