What is the difference between injunctive, declaratory, punitive relief? Does one grant monetary and other an order or something

Filed under: Civil rights

Have a case and it talks about various relief of injunctive, declaratory, punitive etc Do not have an attorney so cannot ask that question to someone. Can someone tell me what you get in each of those? Which one would claim a monetary amount vs a change of judgment for example. Or a good resource that explains the difference and what is claimed under each one. This is in reference to judge clear violations of constitutional rights and under color of law violating state and federal COMMANDS of statutes which caused damages. Because clear commands judge is not immune. So if you claimed a monetary amount from that is it in punitive for example? If you are asking for a change in a judgment is that declaratory etc Thanks for your time

Generally speaking, injunctive relief is a court order saying that a party in a suit must do something specific, or must not do something specific. It is considered an equitable remedy and not monetary.

Declaratory relief means that the court makes an official declaration with respect to the case. This can have consequences that are monetary, but does not in and of itself award money damages.

Punitive relief is generally monetary and means that a party has to pay damages to another party as a punishment (as opposed to simply compensating the other party for injuries). Punitive damages are typically only allowed in extraordinary circumstances or by statute.

I cannot speak to the specific facts of your case, because I am not your lawyer nor am I licensed in CA. If this issue is grave enough for you, consider hiring one who is licensed in your state.

No communication made on or any of its affiliates, whether directly to an individual or indirectly, shall constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship between Elizabeth Surette and any other individual or organization.

Civil rights topics