What is the difference between an attorney and a lawyer?

Albany, GA |

I have seen both terms being used but was wondering if they had different meanings?

1. Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. The answer is they are one in the same. No difference.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

2. Terms are used interchangeably. Technically, anyone who has graduated from law school is a "Lawyer" but only those lawyers who has also passed a State Bar exam can be called an "Attorney" and practice before the courts.

3. As it applies in the United States, they have basically the same meaning. Some distinctions can be see in the topic you have posted your question in. A non lawyer can act as a "power of attorney" if so designated in certain legal documents. That person so designated will have the powers as outlined in the document that a lawyer representing a person would not normally have, such as the power to write check, purchase property, etc.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP EMAIL: hmgrmg@yahoo.com, OFFICES: 53 W. Candler St., Winder, Ga. 30680, 106 Washington Street, Jefferson, Ga. 30549, Or 718 Oak St. Gainesville, Georgia. PHONE: (770) 307-4899 or (770) 538-0555 gadebtlaw.com hicksmasseyandgardner.com serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

4. They are the same. (Not like solicitor and barrister in Great Britain.)

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Pro bono representation topics