What is the difference between a notice of eviction and ejection?

Miami, FL |

My girlfriend received a letter of ejectment. It states that she refuses to leave the property and she has been living with me for the past 2 weeks...

1. Eviction is the legal method of removing a tenant. A tenant is someone who is paying rent and/or who has a lease. Ejectment is the legal method of removing someone who is not a tenant, in other words, usually someone who is staying without a lease and not paying rent to the landlord. I would assume that you are the legal tenant on the property and that you have invited your girlfriend to stay with you without your landlord's permission or against your landlord's permission. Your girlfriend can't be evicted because she's not on the lease, therefore she must be ejected. Eviction and ejectment are both ways of kicking someone out, they just have a subtle legal difference in that eviction involves tenants and ejectment involves non-tenants.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy), and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me for a free consultation at 813-635-0222. Also, if you liked this answer as much as my big ego thinks you did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button!

2. I write only to point out that something would seem to have precipitated and predated the letter of ejectment. I would attempt to get to the root of that issue before the lawsuit for ejectment is filed. Seek legal help.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices. Bstein@dcfsz.com, 305 377 1505