What is the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree murder? does it have to do with the severity of the crime?

San Diego, CA |

cousin got into a road rage fight and the other man ended up on life support and died the same day, they are charging him with 1st degree.. just not sure why not 2nd or 3rd

There is no third degree murder. First degree is premeditated murder as well as murders occurring during the commission of other felonies. Second degree murder is all other murder.

1st degree murder is the willful, premeditated and deliberate unlawful killing of a human being with malice. 2nd degree murder requires malice but not premeditation and deliberation. There are defenses to these charges that your cousin's lawyer will discuss with him: self-defense for example. There is a limit to how far such a defense will go and if the self-defense was unjustified or excessive or if the killing were committed in the heat of passion the murder charge may be reduced to voluntary manslaughter.

1st Degree Murder: 25 to life, or if special circumstances exist, death;
2nd Degree Murder: 15 to life.
Voluntary manslaughter: 3, 6 or 11 years.
Note that if a weapon was used such as a firearm these penalties can be significantly increased.

Just because the district attorney charges a particular California Penal Code section, doesn't mean the district attorney will necessarily get a conviction. This could be a second degree murder case or possibly manslaughter, which is what you probably think third degree murder is (or isn't). There are defenses too. Your cousin will have to talk with his lawyer to discuss his options. We are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I will not appear in court simply by posting on this site. If you would like me to represent you, you must call my office, sign a written fee agreement and pay a legal fee, assuming I do not have a conflict of interest and you are in Southern California. If I respond to your question and you have follow up questions by posting on this site, I may or may not reply. This information should not be construed as legal advice. I am offering my opinion. Each person's case is unique, and that's why you should contact a lawyer over the phone for a consultation for your situation. That's why you should not rely on any response that an attorney posts on this site. I am licensed in California. I am not licensed in another state or country. I do not practice law outside of California.