What is the difference between "living rights" & "life estate"?

Millers Creek, NC |

My mom is transferring deeds to my sisters and myself. What is the best way to protect her having a place to live but also to provide us with ownership now? She doesn't want anything in her name.

First, if your Mom has not sat down with an attorney who is Board Certified in Elder Law (I am not Board Certified, and I am not soliciting you to have her contact me), I wouldn't have her do anything yet. Medicaid planning (which is 99% of the reason people do these deeds) is very detail driven and extremely complex. THERE ARE ALSO SOME VERY BAD RISKS THAT COME ALONG WITH A PARENT DEEDING TO CHILDREN THAT MUST BE DISCLOSED.

That being said...a "Life Estate" is the appropriate term for the retention of "lifetime rights" in Real Property. The rights come with certain statutory obligations. The rights of the Life Estate owner are sometimes subject to the joinder of the "Remaindermen" (those people taking ownership immediately upon the death of the Life Estate owner). Don't listen to friends and neighbors...make an appointment with an expert.

Good Luck...
Mike

COMMUNICATIONS MADE THROUGH AVVO DO NOT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND ALL ANSWERS TO ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU WISH FOR MY FIRM TO REPRESENT YOU, PLEASE CONTACT ME DIRECTLY AT MGGORENFLO@GBCNCLAW.COM, AND IF WE AGREE TO REPRESENTATION, AN ENGAGEMENT LETTER WILL BE PROVIDED. ALL ANSWERS ARE INTENTED FOR LEGAL ISSUES GOVERNED UNDER NORTH CAROLINA LAWS ONLY. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with the requirements of IRS Circular 230, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication or attachment hereto is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or for promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication or attachment.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick

Well said!

Stop, just stop and get mom some estate planning advice before she makes a huge mistake. In addition to the prior attorneys sound points, she also exposes you to extra capital gains taxes if she gifts these to you while alive. You lose the step up in basis by not waiting until death. Get advice from trained professionals or you will pay for it later.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336, his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , for more tax, estate and business articles visit his website www.sjfpc.com. and blog

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

I'd proceed with caution. The opportunity of a 'Step-Up in Basis' is in fact lost if the Property is transferred to your sibling & yourself while your Mom is still alive. It would be protected if the home is in her Living Trust. That's definitely something to consider. Secondly, if she is trying t act ahead of time by pre-planning so that she (later) qualifies for Medicaid, then "timing" is a key issue here especially if she is in declining health. I'd definitely suggest your Mom sit down with an Elder Law Attorney and sort out her options. I absolutely concur about not listening to the advice of well-meaning but not legally qualified friends, neighbors, church members etc. She needs to meet with an experienced, competent, caring Elder Law attorney.