What is the definition of slander

Chicago, IL |

what is the definition of slandering and what grounds do I need to prove it , can I sue somebody that ruin my reputation .

Slander is defined as a false spoken word that is injurious to a person's reputation. Truth is a defense, such that the words must be false to be actionable. Opinions are not actionable, so if someone is merely expressing an opinion about you, they are free to do so. However, if they make a statement of fact about you and that statement of fact is materially false and injurious - such as a statement that you are a criminal or engaging (past or present) in criminal behavior, then that might be actionable. However, measure of harm may be often difficult to prove, as your reputation as a business or individual is a very dynamic construct.

The reality is that most people don't have good slander cases because they haven't sustained monetary damages, thus, the cost of bringing a case is frequently more than you would recover. Also, most slander lawyers will want an up-front fee of 5k or more, as they know they may end up out-of-pocket.

Slander is the oral communication of false statements which are harmful to someone’s reputation. Spoken opinions which don't contain statements of fact don't constitute slander. The basic elements of a claim of slander include; 1.defamatory statement 2. published to third parties 3.which the speaker/publisher knew or should have known was false. Contact a local defamation lawyer in your city to protect your rights and reputation.

Free Consultation:1-877-258-3083. Serving the Nation.