What is the definition of a hostile work environment in NC?

Raleigh, NC |

Is being berated in front of fellow employees, or having to endure being yelled and cussed at in order to keep ones job considered being in a hostile work enviroment?

I understand there are no laws against a boss being a jerk, but how far can an employer go before he/she has crossed the "legal" line?

Think in terms that a hostile work environment typically must be caused by discriminatory workplace harassment based on color, race, religious belief, national origin, disability, age or gender. Additionally, the harassment typically must be severe, recurring and pervasive. Your sitution, while frustrating, has no discriminatory aspects to it.

According to the North Carolina Office of State Personnel a hostile work environment is: "A hostile work environment is one that both a reasonable person would find hostile or abusive and one that the particular person who is the object of the harassment perceives to be hostile or abusive. Other circumstances, including the frequency of the alleged harassing conduct, its severity, whether it is physically threatening or humiliating, and whether it unreasonably interferes with an employee's work performance must be considered."

I'm not sure who your employer is but this is a good basis to decide if you believe you need further legal assistance.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Recommended articles about Employment