What is the deductions amount that should be deducted from a $7,000.00 check?

Asked over 3 years ago - Hayward, CA

I just completed an out-of-court settlement with my former employer, for the amount of $7,000.00. In our contract he said he (by law) must deduct all tax requirements from this check. So...I was concerned about the amount so he said fill out a new W-2 for me (which I did) with many deductions so very litttle will be deducted from the check. I got the cashiers check in the mail today and a whopping $1,633.80 was deducted from my $7,000.00. I claimed 20 allowances/deductions (what ever they are called). With thsi many dedustions, should this huge $1,633.80 have been deducted? Is this a correct amount to deduct? HELP please...confused. I am aware there will be a big amounty at the end of the year I would be responsible for (of course) with the big amount of deductions but darn...

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Answered . You are not going to help yourself by posting the same question in parts several times. Please understand that we all volunteer our time to help and this is not considerate of that effort,. You said the $75 was for a tax garnishment to the IRS so you know what that is and as I said, the levy or garnishment has to be honored until the employer is told otherwise. Your telling them you paid it is not enough. This is a legal forum, not a CPA forum so take this stub to your tax preparer for confirmation. NEXT TIME, don't do this yourself. This all should have been part of the settlement process.

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up or vote it best answer! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post... more
  2. Answered . You forget that there is also social security taxes and state and perhaps local income taxes withheld. Get a detailed breakdown and then have it looked at by a tax attorney or a good tax accountant. It may be that this amount id in fact correct but you need the details.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  3. Answered . There is probably at least $500-600 in payroll taxes. As to the other $1000 you will just have to get the detail to be sure.

Related Topics

Employee wages and payroll taxes

Payroll taxes are paid by employers and employees on each paycheck, which include Medicare and Social Security taxes as well as federal income tax withholding.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

37,549 answers this week

3,925 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

37,549 answers this week

3,925 attorneys answering