What is the deciding factor if my dwi 3 felony goes to trial?

Still waiting to go to court.

San Antonio, TX -

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

DUI / DWI Attorney - Dallas, TX

There is no single deciding factor. It's weighing the State's evidence against your available defenses. The most important pieces of evidence in a DWI are the breath or blood score and the video(s). After you have reviewed all of the discovery with your attorney, you will be able to evaluate the DA's offer and decide whether accepting it outweighs the risk of going to trial.

James Richard Butler

James Richard Butler

DUI / DWI Attorney - Houston, TX

I agree with my colleague. There are so many factors in play in a Felony DWI trial. You have given us no information about the facts of your case. Was there a breath or blood test ? I will assume there was a statutorily mandated blood draw - Are you awaiting the results ? How do you look and sound on the video ? What were the driving facts ? How does your officer present him/herself ? What kind of jurors show up for jury duty in your county ? All of these things play a role in the final outcome of your case.

Felony DWI trials are inherently unfair. The first thing the jury hears is that you have two prior convictions. The lawyer must address this head on in voir dire. How old are the prior DWI's. We're they probated prior to 1984?
Did you waive jury in those cases knowingly and intelligently? We're you represented by counsel?

There are many fine DWI lawyers in your area. Look for one who is a member of the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD).These lawyers are typically better versed in DWI law and the issues involved in your defense. Now is not the time to bargain shop - you need an experienced DWI trial lawyer with jury trial experience in DWI blood test cases. These cases involve complex areas of science and the law, which some lawyers are not familiar with. Good luck, and I hope this information helps.

Bradford Ryan Kvinta

Bradford Ryan Kvinta

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Antonio, TX

As my colleagues have said, there are numerous factors involved in determining whether the state intends to prosecute its case. Things like witness availability, strength of evidence, etc. are all factors the state will consider. As a former prosecutor, these are factors we considered all the time in making decisions on whether to try a case to a jury.

At this point, there are too many facts missing in order to make a careful prediction on whether this case should be presented to a jury. Your attorney needs to determine whether their is a breath or blood test involved, what your field sobriety tests look like (if any), and whether a video is available.

If you don't have an attorney, I suggest contacting one immediately who can help guide you through this difficult process.

Please do not hesitate to call 210.701.1241 with any questions.

Richard Timothy Jones

Richard Timothy Jones

DUI / DWI Attorney - Austin, TX

There are a lot of factors. The prosecutor has to look at your performance on the standardized field sobriety tests and the results of any scientific testing such as breath or blood test results.
www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

John Paul Thygerson

John Paul Thygerson

DUI / DWI Attorney - Norwalk, CT

The strength of the state's evidence.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

DUI / DWI Attorney - Madison, WI

Up here in Wisconsin, felony DWI cases are seldom dismissed outright. Many prosecutors would rather lose than dismiss.

Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.