What is the deadline for answering a lawsuit under Texas civil procedure rules

Katy, TX |
Filed under: Litigation

A constable left me with a new lawsuit last night but I can't figure out what it means on how to figure out my deadline.

1. This information is given for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

If you got sued inJP court, start counting from today for 10 days and that is your approximate deadline. If you were sued in county or district court, start counting from today for 20 days. This is not the technical calculation, but using this method will make sure you are not late with your answer.

2. You need to file a document called an ANSWER. I sell them for $25.

If it states something like... you are to appear in court on the Monday next...That means you have approx. 20 days to file an ANSWER.

However, even if you miss that deadline -- file an ANSWER immediately!

Happy Holidays!

3. If you have been sued in Justice of the Peace Court (including Small Claims), you must file an answer in writing by 10:00 am on the TENTH DAY after the date you were served. Texas Rules of Civil Procedure 535.

If you were sued in County Court at Law or District Court, you must file an answer, in writing, by 10:00 am the Monday following TWENTY DAYS after the date you were served. Texas Rules of Civil Procedure 99(b).

Failure to file an Answer will result in a Default Judgment being rendered against you.

Mike Morris
    Morris & Allen, pllc
    New Braunfels, TX

Litigation topics