What is the consequence of continued driving after revocation charges in Minnesota?

Asked over 5 years ago - Saint Paul, MN

A relative of mine has been caught driving after revocation several times. He got caught at least once in '06, and the latest was in July '08 (still within the one year revocation from the '06 incident), and twice in December of '08. The July incident had a fine of around $130, but I believe that the cases for both December incidents are still open. Does this mean the possibility of jail time or something more than license revocation?

I forgot to mention that none of those four incidents are drinking related, but I do believe he did have a DWI in 2005

1. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

Answered . Depending on the jurisdiction, the relative may be facing jail time for repeated driving after withdrawal offenses. You should contact an attorney to discuss.

2. Thomas C Gallagher

Answered . Though it is unusual to be sentenced to jail time for the first DAR, subsequent convictions typically do result in jail time - longer sentences depending upon the number of priors. He should consider getting a good lawyer.

FFI: http://www.liberty-lawyer.com/dwiduidrivingrela...

3. Jon Michael Zimmerman

Answered . I'm not an attorney in Minnesota, but in many places, such as Washington, driving with a revoked and/or suspended license is punishable by jail time. You should urge your relative to obtain the services of a Minnesota criminal defense attorney before your relative is due in court.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now