What is the California Code that provides statutory authority for suing a government entity for breach of contract?

Bakersfield, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

A school district breached a settlement agreement (it was verbal, but the details were backed up by e-mail) and tried to enforce an altered contract.

You should consult with an attorney regarding how to proceed and whether or not there was an enforceable agreement. It will depend on the specific facts and circumstances. Did this involve an employment matter, or resolution of a claim against the school district? You likely will need to file a claim under the claims statutes applicable to claims against governmental entities in California (Government Code Section 800, et seq), since the claims statutes apply to breach of contract actions. Good luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

This may not be the question that will elicit helpful answers for you. It is unlikely that a verbal agreement, even one memorialized by email, constitutes a "settlement agreement." More likely, you have an oral agreement, one you will contend is enforceable against the public entity. The difference is profound.

That oral agreement contention can raise difficult and complex legal issues pertaining to scope of authority and legal capacity of the public employee who made the alleged agreement. An oral agreement is a disputed case still needing a settlement agreement, with all legal issues still open for dispute.

You will need to talk with attorneys who have experience litigating against public entities, and you will need to file a timely Gov Code tort claim.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes