Skip to main content

What is the best way to upgrade my military re-code from 4 to one i can reenlist with?

Lake Jackson, TX |
Filed under: Military law Appeals

I have a general discharge(under honorable conditions) for having the wrong ribbons on my uniform. I served in the Navy for 3 days less than 9 months.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


U probably can't. The Navy will look at whether u were given the correct code and u admit u were. While ur desire to serve again is noble the Navy is cutting its ranks and has more than enough people as it is.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave


The Navy has the worst chances of success in these matters.


Concur with Mr Cassara. Not gonna happen. RE-4 means ineligible to reenlist waivers not authorized and will not be considered. Sorry.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


I concur with my colleagues, Attorneys Cassara and Rafter. You can petition the Board for Correction for Naval Records; however, it will be a futile exercise, as it is highly unlikely you will get relief.

Law Office of Stephen P. Kelly (508) 983-1479--Criminal Defense, Military Law, Divorce & Family Law, Appeals. DISCLAIMER: Answers to posted questions are for general interest only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established by virtue of any answer posted by the attorney.

Military law topics

Recommended articles about Military law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer