What is the best way to handle small estate?

Asked over 4 years ago - Grove, OK

My Mom is 87 and has a will that was signed by both her and my Dad when he was alive, estate should be equally divided between all 5 children. The estate including house is probably worth $75,000. Does my Mom need another will just in her name? Should we set up a Living Trust?
Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Additional information

My Mom lives in Oklahoma

Attorney answers (2)

  1. John Hunsucker

    Contributor Level 13
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The answer will depend on how the house is titled. There are ways to avoid costly probate by spending a little money on probate planning in advance. I would contact Ward and Lee in Vinita at 918-323-9100 or another attorney in your area that handles probate law and speak with them. They will probably offer a free consultation which you should consider.

  2. Freya A Shoffner

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You don't mention whether your mother also lives in Oklahoma, and the state of her residence will make a difference in how your question is answered. The smartest thing to do is to consult a qualified estate planning lawyer who practices where your mother lives. Many attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation, and the advice you will receive could be invaluable.

    To get started, if your mother does live in Oklahoma, I suggest you consult the information about the probate process that is published by the Oklahoma Bar Association through the link provided here.

    This answer does not constitute the provision of legal advice nor does it establish an attorney/client relationship of any kind.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,075 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,075 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering