What is the best way to handle harassment by an someone who is posting libelous and damaging information about me online?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

This has been going on for months and the person responsible is not stopping. I know who it is based on the information they have and their actions. The person admitted to a mutual acquaintance to setting up fake accounts on numerous websites to track my activities online.

While some sites have cooperated others refuse to remove the offending materials. The person responsible is also actively recruiting on hacker websites asking for help to go after me.

What exactly can I do here? Can I subpoena his ISP for his internet activity? file a restraining order, etc?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

1

Answered . Hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter. You can't issue a subpoena unless a case is pending.

Pro

5

Answered . A local lawyer can send a cease and desist letter

3. Joseph Leonard Ciaccio

3

Answered . Hire a lawyer - or maybe contact the police - although I don't know how much they could or would do.

Best of luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now