Skip to main content

What is the best way to file for divorce in Colorado?

Englewood, CO |

We have signed the petition and the Affidavit for decree without appearance of parties. Would filing the sworn financial statements as well reduce the likelihood of requiring a trial for going over finances?

I am looking to file the documents and go through the process as quickly and painlessly as possible. My wife and I have already split our assets and do not need a trial. Also she has a daughter from a previous relationship and I am not seeking custody, so that is not an issue either.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Both parties are required to file a Sworn Financial Statement and a Certificate of Compliance with Rule 16.2. You can find these forms on the Colorado Courts website at You should also file a completed Separation Agreement.

    Pitler and Associates, P.C. (303) 758-2221. We would love to help in your legal needs. Serving both the Denver Metro Area and the mountain counties of Eagle, Lake and Summit. @KTarrinEsq (Twitter) The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

  2. I can not tell if you have already filed for a divorce or not. The Affidavit for Decree without Appearance of Parties is typically filed when both parties are represented by counsel and both have a Separation Agreement signed and filed with the Court along with a Proposed Decree. You need to meet with an attorney in order to go over all of the documents.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

  3. I would follow the link provided by Ms. Tarrin.

  4. We help many clients on a flat fee basis with all of the document and agreement preparation and assistance/consulting through the process to make it go as quickly and painlessly as possible. Please feel free to contact us if you would like help with your case.

    You can reach Dave Rich at (303) 886-2516 or Dave Rich is an attorney licensed in Colorado. Answering your questions does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts in your case, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  5. This sounds like a matter of getting your paperwork in order, since it seems as if you and your wife have agreed on the important matters and wish to move forward as quickly as possible with your divorce. See my link below that may be of some help to you. Additionally, I am available to help with this process and will work with you to ensure this is done as quickly as possible.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics