What is the best way to enforce a poilcy on common area storage and cleanliness?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Tenant leave bbq grills, furniture, and trash in common areas and it is creating a fire hazard. Is this considered abandoned and I can simply throw it away? Also how would I enforce a policy on balconies being used as storage space? Are these violations reasons for eviction?

1. Brad S Kane

Pro

3

Answered . As a practical matter, you could start with a friendly reminder about courtesy to the other tenants.

If that does not work, you should send the tenant a 3 day notice to quit or cure , which specifically identifies the problems and the lease provisions violated.

2. Sagar P. Parikh

1

Answered . What does your lease say about these things? As Mr. Kane mentioned, you can remind the tenants in a friendly manner, but if the behavior does not change, you may have to take further steps.

3. Cheryl Rivera Smith

1

Answered . You would need to read the lease. If these items are not addressed, you should hire a local landlord tenant lawyer to help you write an addendum or revise your lease.