What is the best way to draw up a will without a lawyer?

Fort Lee, NJ |

Is there a good online site?

I personally would caution you against drawing up a will without a lawyer. I recently blogged about why average people should not bypass an attorney when starting their own companies. The same reasoning applies to drawing up a will. You can read my article here : http://thenjlawyer.blogspot.com/2009/01/you-get-what-you-pay-for.html

Wills by a kit tend to end up going badly. The subtle problems that arise in the real world of estate law and probate matters rarely are covered by these cookie cutter wills available online.

I agree with the other attorney that posted an answer. My observation is this -- for a will to be good, it should be drawn up for the client by a licensed lawyer.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your locale with whom you enjoy an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.