What is the best state for privacy?

San Francisco, CA |

I want to live in a state that respects my privacy fully. Are there qualities of privacy laws that differ among states?

Take a look at the privacy climate of New Hampshire under the "Live Free or Die" banner.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

I think the manner in which you live is more important than the state in which you live when it comes to privacy.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Such a good point! So many people unthinkingly use their employer's email and equipment for personal communications and then want to sue for "invasion or privacy"! They post their children's photos on FB and then want to sue others for sending them out to 3rd parties. The dual-mind set goes on and on. The way to keep your life private is to keep your actions and statements private. This sometimes means abstaining from the latest technological capability, latest electronic device, avoiding the web-site or social media of the moment. No one gets to have it all ways.

Civil rights topics