What is the best Parenting Time for two children whose ages are 6 and 4 during summer break.

Indianapolis, IN |

The problem I have is this summer break. My youngest daughter is 4 and already has trouble with staying the night with people, since her dad was gone for 3 and half years she is afraid to stay with him. My 6 yr old attends school and it states he is to get half the summer with him but its not the same for my 4 yr old. My 6 yr old does not want to be without her sister because she is still afraid to be with him as well. I was thinking about modifying the order to visits to every other week during the summer since he was gone for 3 and half years and they are still not used to the idea of wanting to stay with him, just for this summer, but I don't know what to do when my 4 yr old gets home sick before the end of that week. In your opinion ,what do you think the visitations should be?

You certainly can try a modification and the court may agree with you, that a phase in would be good.. Perhaps you may want to seek counseling for the children and see what the counselor thinks would be best.

Mr. Padove is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Padove strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received. If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. (219) 836 2200

There is no definitive answer. What i would want to know is what parenting time is he exercising now? Is he exercising overnights? If he is, how many overnights and how are they going. These are all relevant questions to your issue.

Also, please take into consideration that one half of the summer does not mean exactly that. Under our guidelines, he would get 2 weeks of uninterrupted parenting time. After those two weeks, you would have his parenting time schedule for the remainder of his half of the summer.

Finally, if it really is a concern for the kids, discuss the issue with him and see if he would be willing to do a trial run some time before the summer, such as Spring break. If it goes well, it may not be as big a concern as you now think it is.

The answers provided are for informational purposes only and shall not be considered legal advice on your specific fact situation. If you would like information specific to your particular fact situation, please feel free to contact me directly.

He is doing a phase in period he now was doing one night a week. Starting in a few weeks his visitations are followed by the Guidelines. The visits are not going so well. They don't want to go and now my daughter is having problems in school because of it. So they have only stayed one full night with him for a month and half and are having problems I am afraid to see what will happen when it becomes more than one night. I know the Guidelines states that a 4 yr olds time is different than a 6 yr olds. My oldest daughter is on balanced scheduling for school so I figured every other week is best because he is allowed half of the summer? I am a little confused on what you mean by the two weeks?

Larry David Stassin

Larry David Stassin

The two weeks uninterrupted simply means that your ex will have the children for two continuous weeks before you will see them again. If the parenting time is not going well, you may want to consult with a lawyer regarding a parenting time evaluator to get involved to help with the transition to full parenting time. Larry D. Stassin Attorney At Law Layer, Tanzillo, Stassin & Babcock P.C. 1160 Joliet St. Suite 201 Dyer, IN 46311 (219)865-6262

Recommended articles about Family law