What is the best major to get into if i have a dismissed felony of transport ?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I'm scared to pursue my career in business which im already going college for and im halfway through. Do i have to change my career because i don't know if it would be easy to find a job when people still will see my felony and it will still show up after a back ground check? DO i have to mark convicted as a felony even though i expunged my transportation record and got it dismissed?

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

1

Answered . A great question for a labor / employment attorney because there are industries in which this will need to be reported. Good luck.

2. Kiarash Feyzjou

Pro

1

Answered . My response to you is based on the following assumption: That you were previously convicted of a felony charge, but you were later able to expunge the violation. If that is the case, then you are entitled to the benefit of the 1203.4 expungement in that your conviction has been set aside, a not-guilty plea was entered and the matter was dismissed. However, expungements have limitations. You are still required to disclose your conviction in response to any government entity, to the CA State Lottery and if you want to pursue a politics. The other issue is whether or not you attempted to reduce your offense to a misdemeanor before you expunged it. Your question is not very detailed, therefore, I cannot provide you with a detailed response. It does appear that you definitely need to consult with a criminal attorney to determine what happened in your case as it relates to the expungement. Before you choose to derail your employment path, get a free consultation. Many attorneys on AVVO provide free consultations.

3. Greg Thomas Hill

1

Answered . Your question really is not related to criminal defense. It is probably something a career counselor can handle much better. An employment attorney, as Mr. Cernyar suggested, would be a good person to as about the effect of having a felony showing up on a background check. In terms of how to respond to an employment application asking about convictions, generally speaking you can mark no because of the expungement, but it would matter on the specific application on how it is worded and who is the employer.