What is the best legal entity for 2 partners (American resident and NON-resident)?

New York, NY |

My partner is a US citizen running an S-Corp in NY and I am a Ukrainian citizen working as independent entrepreneur in Kiev, Ukraine.
Although my partner is a US citizen he permanently resides in Ukraine for more than a year already. We would like to create a mutual legal entity in a state where state (federal) tax is not applied or smoothly switch from an S-Corp legal entity to a Partnership Legal Entity with (if possible) possibility of attaching the same bank account used by S-Corp and using this bank account by the two of us as equal partners (50/50%).
What is the best Legal Entity for us to create to avoid the above mentioned taxes. Like I said we both reside in Ukraine right now and provide Consulting Services online but processing all the payments through American channels.

To comply with all legal requirements and meet your objectives I suggest meeting with an attorney who is versed in corporate law in person. Have your U.S. partner meet with such counsel for further legal advice. As you may realize, no one can effectively tell you both what you need exactly without discussing it in person during a confidential meeting protected by the attorney-client privilege.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

I agree with my colleague.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Thank you.

You've got several options but which makes the most sense depends on multiple factors. Sit down with an attorney and explore them. It will be well worth the time and you'll get it setup right the first time.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law