What is the best evidence to show to the judge when asking for extra night during weekdays to our parenting time due to his age

Asked 11 months ago - Newark, NJ

since birth I spend 2 hrs twice a week and 2 overnights on alternate weekends. Now my son is 5! I want to participate in his daily care too.his mom will use same old excuse: "He has a routine", "I cared daily for him" etc. dads can not be part of his routine as well? During my hearing what strong evidence can I show the judge to show how an extra night will benefit my son? I have tons of evidence about my involvement with him w doc, school, caregiviers, comply with my visits, but If I show all of those evidence the Judge is going to fell sleep. Judge is also well aware the benefit of a son sharing more with his father as well. I have only 5 -10 min to talk and I want to bring the strongest evidence to court. caring for my boy during weekdays will make our bond stronger, not only weekends

1. Bari Zell Weinberger

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . In order to change a custody/parenting arrangement without both parties agreeing you will need to show the court a substantial change of circumstances. I recommend that you consult with an experienced Family Law attorney who can review the specific facts and circumstances involved in your matter and advise you accordingly. The article (or articles) located at the link provided below may also offer some helpful information and guidance. http://www.weinbergerlawgroup.com/children-pare...

2. Curtis James Romanowski

Pro

Answered . If you have all this evidence and your concern is presenting it so a judge doesn't fall asleep, that's what lawyers are for. We can't reasonably be expected to give you purely conceptual advice without reviewing your exhibits, proofs, allegations, etc., and without knowing what change of circumstances you are alleging to re-open the door. Thanks.

3. Amy B. Hansel

Answered . You are going to need to prove to the judge that there has been a substantial change in circumstance that would warrant a modification in the parenting time arrangement. You simply wanting more time is not going to meet that threshold. You need to explain how things have changed since the original arrangement (maybe now you live closer, have a different job with different hours that would allow for more parenting time, etc) I strongly recommend seeking counsel to represent you.