What is the best/easiest way for a US citizen to marry a J1 visa student from Taiwan?

Asked about 2 years ago - Grand Canyon, AZ

My girlfriend and I are looking to get married. She is currently in the US on a J1 visa. She has to return to Taiwan to complete an internship. She believes that coming back to the US on a tourist visa is the best way for us to get married in the future. I feel that getting married now and submitting a K1 visa is better. Which way is better, and has less chance for denials or delays?

1. Robert West

1

Best Answer

Answered . K-1 is the proper way.

2. Gen Kimura

2

1

Answered . Your girl friend can not apply for a B visa so that she can come to the U.S. to marry you. Before you start her permanent residency process, you have to make sure that she is not subject to 2 year foreign residency requirement.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . Using a tourist visa with the intention of marriage is a VERY VERY BAD idea.

You are correct, use a K for her to enter and get married within 90 days of arrival.

Or, you can get married now and she can go home, do her internship, and return with a greencard.

NOTE: You didn't tell us whether or not she has a 2 year restriction on her J. If so, then she needs to stay home for 2 years before coming back as fiance, or spouse.

___________________________________________________________
    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW
    franco@capriotti.com -- 1-503-803-0055 -- www.capriotti.com
    SKYPE MULTI-PARTY VIDEO AVAILABLE