What is the best, low cost way to obtain a divorce when the spouse is in jail. We have 2 children together.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Aurora, CO

I live in Aurora, Co Arapahoe County. We have been split up for over 5 years.

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . The process starts when you file a Petition for Dissolution in your home county (Arapahoe) assuming you have lived there at least 90 days. You then have to get him served. It can all move very quickly, but service of the Petitioner has to precede the date of the divorce by 90 days.

If you are looking for low cost assistance, you may start with the Colorado bar Association to se if they can give you the names of attorneys that will work at discounted rates.

I wish you luck!

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

3

Answered . You can possibly do it by yourself. However, I do not recommend it, as it like performing surgery on yourself. There are numerous low pay/slow pay attorneys, like myself who could assist you on this matter. Otherwise, you can contact Metro Volunteer Lawyers Association or Legal Aid.

3. Kelly Lynn Snodgrass

3

Answered . In general, you obtain a divorce by filing a Petition for Dissolution with the court. You can print the form online (see link) or obtain the necessary forms from the clerk of court. There is an associated filing fee; however, you may file for relief from payment by filing a Motion to File Without Payment. You must income qualify. If you file alone, you will have to have your husband served or he must sign a waiver of service. If he signs the Petition with you, as Co-Petitioner, you do not need to take this step. Having him sign a wavier or as Co-Petitioner will reduce your costs.

The remainder of the process is generally no cost, including attending an Initial Status Conference, completing a Separation Agreement including a Parenting Plan, and completing a Child Support worksheet. See the forms online for the general steps and requirements. Arapahoe County does have a family law clinic that you can attend to get assistance at no charge. You should check with the clerk for the next available date and time.

4. Stephen P Calder

1

Answered . If your husband is willing to cooperate, you can do an "uncontested divorce" very inexpensively (under $500). For more info visit my web site calderfamilylaw.com or call me at 303 751-9462.