What is the average hourly rate for a divorce attorney?

Asked about 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

I'm trying to keep the costs of my divorce down as much as possible, but I'm going to need legal advice regarding divorce proceedings. If location would affect the hourly rate, I live in Orlando, Florida.

1. Brent Allan Rose

3

1

Answered . Good question. I'm surprised it's not asked more. A lawyer's hourly rates vary greatly depending on your location. New lawyers and associates (non-partners) in small towns in Florida can have rates as low as $125 per hour. Partners in cities like Miami or New York can have rates as high as $1000 per hour or more. A common rate for a divorce lawyer in the city you posted from (Orlando) is probably about $200 to $350 per hour.

When shopping for a lawyer, you should probably ask for an overall estimate of what you think your divorce will cost. Although a lot of things can influence this -- most especially how hard the other side "fights" -- a good lawyer should be able to give you a general idea of what your case should cost from start to finish.

2. Thomas R. Peppler

3

Answered . In Central Florida, a mid-range hourly rate would be $300.00 per hour. The filing fee alone is $400.00.

The cost of a divorce is tied to the complexity of your financial circumstances and the level of conflict between you and your spouse.

You should at least pay to have a family lawyer explain how the system works, and what your rights and obligations may be.

3. Joanna Marie Mitchell

Pro

3

Answered . Hourly rates can vary greatly and are mostly based on knowledge and experience. They're typically anywhere from $100 per hour to $400 per hour. Newer attorneys may charge less, but they also may not give you correct or accurate information. As has been stated, you get what you pay for. When dealing with issues that will have a lasting impact on your life and the lives of your children (presuming children are involved), it's best not to make cost the main consideration in determining how to proceed.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, my office offers free initial telephone consultations. During the consultation, we can discuss the particulars of your situation in depth, as well as explore your potential rights and options. If you would like to coordinate a free initial telephone consultation, please contact my office at 407-971-6140 or 352-324-2444 to schedule same.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements.

Joanna Mitchell
    Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    614 E. Hwy 50, Suite 327
    Clermont, FL 34711-3164
    PH: (352) 324-2444
    FX: (352) 324-2229
    Email: jmitchell@mitchell-pa.com
    Web: www.mitchell-pa.com

4. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

Answered . A highly experienced attorney's hourly rate can range from $300 to $400 an hour or more. A lesser experienced attorney will probably bill in the 200 dollar range.