What is the average EEOC mediation settlement amount? How much should i ask for at a mediation hearing?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I filed a claim with the EEOC about being fired on discriminatory grounds (race & national origin). My coworker & i were both tardy at work. We were put on probation. After probation, we were tardy again (him maybe a little more than me) but I was fired and not him. He's white and born here but i'm not. So i filed a claim and the EEOC sent me a letter for mediation. I'd like to know what is a reasonable amount of compensation to request at the hearing? 6-month salary? one year? two years? i have been fired since March and still unable to find a job. What is the average settlement amount at an EEOC mediation?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

4

Answered . You need an attorney. Just because a matter is set for mediation does not mean that you former employer will agree to pay anything. EEOC does not represent you. You need an attorney to determine whether you have a case that can be successfully pursued if mediation is not successful. You need a lawyer to cause your opposing party to take you and your case seriously.