What is the average EEOC mediation settlement amount? How much should i ask for at a mediation hearing?

Dallas, TX |

I filed a claim with the EEOC about being fired on discriminatory grounds (race & national origin). My coworker & i were both tardy at work. We were put on probation. After probation, we were tardy again (him maybe a little more than me) but I was fired and not him. He's white and born here but i'm not. So i filed a claim and the EEOC sent me a letter for mediation. I'd like to know what is a reasonable amount of compensation to request at the hearing? 6-month salary? one year? two years? i have been fired since March and still unable to find a job. What is the average settlement amount at an EEOC mediation?

You need an attorney. Just because a matter is set for mediation does not mean that you former employer will agree to pay anything. EEOC does not represent you. You need an attorney to determine whether you have a case that can be successfully pursued if mediation is not successful. You need a lawyer to cause your opposing party to take you and your case seriously.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.