What is the average cost to have a Will prepared (given that the only asset is a home)?

Asked over 1 year ago - Oakland, CA

If there are low-cost alternatives, please advise.

This would apply to the San Francisco Bay Area.

1. Pamela Janet Ross

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . I do flat fee estate planning and we are a nonprofit so our prices are generally lower that traditional counsel. I typically do bundles for people. I would need to talk to you to determine if a living trust would be better than a will in your situation so that you can avoid probate, etc.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss it. Our website is www.allforthefamilylegalclinic.org General pricing for a basic will, with durable Power of Attorney and medical directive is $300 per person. General pricing for a basic living trust, Pour over Will, Durable Power of Attorney, and Medical Directive is between $600-$1000 depending on your assets, income, and family size.

2. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

5

1

Answered . A basic Will for one person would cost $250.00 in my office. However, that is not what makes sense for 90% of my clients. Life is not simple and proper planning for disability and death attempts to make things less complicated and expensive for your family. In all likelihood you should have a Advanced Health Care Directive and/or Property Power of Attorney.

I would suggest looking for a qualified attorney on this website or at naela.org.

Best wishes!

3. James P. Frederick

4

1

Answered . I much prefer using deeds in this situation. The problem is, the estate planning tool of choice in Michigan is a lady bird deed. I understand that California does not recognize nor allow lady bird deeds. I think that means you need to sit down with a California estate planning attorney and see if there is an equivalent tool you can use, or perhaps something better for your needs. If it WERE a deed, it should not cost any more than a Will to prepare. The nice thing is, if set up properly a deed would avoid the need for probate. A Will does not.

James Frederick

4. Steven J. Fromm

3

1

Answered . You really need to do estate planning. You need at least a will, a living will/advanced medical directive, and a durable power of attorney. You need to have an overall estate plan for all your assets. Costs for attorney vary based on experience, years in practice, whether they are with a small or large firm, or if they are in a major city. Look at the Find A Lawyer tab here at Avvo and then talk to some of them you like.