What is the average cost to have a Will prepared (given that the only asset is a home)?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

If there are low-cost alternatives, please advise.

Additional information

This would apply to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Pamela Janet Ross

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I do flat fee estate planning and we are a nonprofit so our prices are generally lower that traditional counsel. I typically do bundles for people. I would need to talk to you to determine if a living trust would be better than a will in your situation so that you can avoid probate, etc.

    Feel free to give me a call to discuss it. Our website is www.allforthefamilylegalclinic.org General pricing for a basic will, with durable Power of Attorney and medical directive is $300 per person. General pricing for a basic living trust, Pour over Will, Durable Power of Attorney, and Medical Directive is between $600-$1000 depending on your assets, income, and family size.

    This answer is a general interpretation of the law and is not fact specific to your case. Likewise it does not... more
  2. Paul A. Smolinski


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . A basic Will for one person would cost $250.00 in my office. However, that is not what makes sense for 90% of my clients. Life is not simple and proper planning for disability and death attempts to make things less complicated and expensive for your family. In all likelihood you should have a Advanced Health Care Directive and/or Property Power of Attorney.

    I would suggest looking for a qualified attorney on this website or at naela.org.

    Best wishes!

    Legal Disclaimer: Paul A. Smolinski is licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois only, and as such, his... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I much prefer using deeds in this situation. The problem is, the estate planning tool of choice in Michigan is a lady bird deed. I understand that California does not recognize nor allow lady bird deeds. I think that means you need to sit down with a California estate planning attorney and see if there is an equivalent tool you can use, or perhaps something better for your needs. If it WERE a deed, it should not cost any more than a Will to prepare. The nice thing is, if set up properly a deed would avoid the need for probate. A Will does not.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more
  4. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You really need to do estate planning. You need at least a will, a living will/advanced medical directive, and a durable power of attorney. You need to have an overall estate plan for all your assets. Costs for attorney vary based on experience, years in practice, whether they are with a small or large firm, or if they are in a major city. Look at the Find A Lawyer tab here at Avvo and then talk to some of them you like.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering