Skip to main content

What is the average cost of a custody case in juvenile court?

Marietta, OH |

Parents never married. Would like to know a roundabout figure for a non-custodial asking for custody in Ohio. I am already named the natural father with parental responsibilites and visitation....... I understand all case are different. I already have $2,500 towards a retainer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would expect that you would be able to find an attorney with a retainer range of $2,500 - $5,000. The actual amount of the charges would be based upon the actual amount of time involved in the case - and that will depend in part upon the other side. Be aware that there may be additional charges, such as a Guardian ad litem, deposition expenses, etc.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Mr. Piper's response set forth above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Piper's responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the his understanding of the facts stated in the question, and are for the general educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. Also, a particular case may involve additional facts and circumstances which might invalidate some or all of the concepts provided in this answer and therefore you should not rely upon this answer in any individual situation. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question and would need to question the potential client in order to clarify the specific facts operable in that case. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney in your state. Mr. Piper is licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio, and may be contacted directly via email at:


Attorney Piper is right. My firm requires a retainer of $3,000.00, then there are the filing fees, deposition costs, guardian ad item and if necesarry psychological evaluations.

Attorney Sternberg is admitted to the practice of law only in the State of Ohio. His answering of this question does not constitute an attorney client relationship, nor can his answer be relied on since the question does not permit Attorney Sternberg to seek additional information necessary to render an legal opinion.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer