What is the approximate costs / expenses in a personal injury lawsuit ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tacoma, WA

Please let me know what is approximate costs/ expenses that a lawyer advances in a personal injury law suit?
I found following expenses...please add if am missing some?

1.court filing fees (e.g., $210 to start the lawsuit)
2. investigator (How much this cost approx?)
3. medical records
4. doctor’s narrative report – (how much?)
5.Deposition transcripts --- How much this cost approx.?
6.experts fees - How much?

I am not asking for fees ...am asking for the all the costs typically lawyer advances.

1. Erik Francis Ladenburg

5

Answered . The costs can vary depending upon the complexity of the case. If liability is disputed, the costs will likely increase. If the injuries are severe, the costs will likley increase.

1.court filing fees, $210-$460 (filing fee in Superior Ct, MAR fees if applicable)
    2. investigator ($300 to several thousands depending upon the complexity of the case)
    3. medical records ($500 to several thousands depending upon the complexity of the injury)
    4. doctor’s narrative report – $600 several thousands depending upon the complexity of the injury
    5.Deposition transcripts --- $300 to several thousands depending upon the complexity of the case
    6.experts fees - $1,000 to 10s of thousands depending upon the complexity of the case

I realize this is probably not much help but the costs really do vary greatly. If you provide more facts (e.g. rear-end auto accident, 6 months chire, 3 months physical therapy, 1 ER visit, no lost wages, 2 lay witnesses for general damages, etc) then I could give a much narrower range.

2. William John Carlson

Pro

4

Answered . There is no such thing as "the average cost" of a lawsuit. In Washington the filing fee is $240, the cost to serve a defendant who is readlily available is $100 or so. If you have to search for the defendant you may have to hire a skip tracer to locate him/her. That can run in the range of $1,000-1,500 or so. The cost to acquire medical records typically runs $75-100 per provider, with separate charges for billings. Depositions are billed by the length of the transcript, i.e., a charge per page, plus the appearance fee of the reporter. Expect to pay $350-500 for a reasonably short deposition. Expert fees are all over the map. In this area medical professionals charge in the range of $750-1,000 per hour for consultation, and more for trial testimony. In short, litigation is expensive, and no matter how much you spend, you can still lose.

3. Scott W Edwards

Pro

3

Answered . There is no way to properly answer this question. Costs can range anywhere from $400-$500 for a case that settles soon after suit is filed and upwards as high as tens of thousands of dollars for a larger case. Some very large cases go as high as hundreds of thousands of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if, on a case being taken to trial, the number exceeded $10,000 for all of the expenses contemplated above. Best to talk to your attorney about this and get his or her estimate based on your case specific facts.

4. Michael S Altman

Pro

3

Answered . Ask your attorney to show you copies of the bills for all of the costs-that is a reasonable request. There is absolutely no way for any attorney on avvo.com to answer your questions as there are too many variables and costs can range from very little to tens of thousands of dollars on various cases. Good luck!

5. Crystal Grace Rutherford

Pro

3

Answered . Typically, there is the filing fee which now is $240. Investigating a personal injury claim depends largely on the facts and what is the investigator looking for. Also there is location of defendant if it is not a corporation which an investigator can do which can range wildly from a simple skip trace to an extensive search which can cost around $1,000. Then there is the necessity to serve the defendant that can range fro $75 to thousands of dollars. I have paid as little as $100 to several thousands of dollars for medical records which again depends on the kind of injury to how many health care providers the client saw for the collision and previously. Doctor's narrative reports can range from $200 to $3,000 depending on the doctor, the nature of the injuries, how many records he or she must review and how detailed the report is made. Deposition can range from $150 to again $1,000 or more depending on how long the deposition took, what are exhibits the court reporter hand to copy and so on. Expert fees that can also range but they are almost always in the thousands of dollars and it depends on the expert. An economist who has Ph.D. from an ivy league school can charge several thousand dollars, no including testimony.

It depends so much on what your case is, that is difficult to give you an estimate. However, a personal injury attorney, after reviewing your case should be able to tell you a range of what to expect.

6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Trial prep - investigator, subpoena, exhibits
    Appeal (rarely)

7. Robert Smead Hogan

Pro

3

Answered . This is a type of question that is really impossible to answer without knowing more about the facts and circumstances particular to your case, and the jurisdiction where it is, or will be, pending. The categories that you list all appear to be proper categories of expenses which you can expect to incur in a personal injury lawsuit. It is impossible to tell whether you will need these specific items in your case, or, more importantly, what they will run, without knowing about the details of your case.

If you have an attorney, I would urge you to discuss this with your lawyer. He or she can give you a better idea of what expenses will be necessary in your case. As to whether your lawyer will bear the up front cost of those expenses (an "advance") or whether you are responsible for paying for these expenses at the time they are required -- that, again, varies from one jurisdiction to another and from one attorney-client relationship to another.

8. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

3

Answered . Costs will vary from case to case. You can ask your lawyer to provide the invoices for all of the costs being charged to you.

9. Michael Shemtoub

1

Answered . It is best to ask for something in writing on what is being charged to you. Your attorney should be able to easily provide this information to you.
    Good Luck
    http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/i-slipped-and...