What is the appeal process for traffic violations and is there a time line in California?

Asked 11 months ago - Sacramento, CA

I received a fix it ticket for no registration. I paid the registration and thought it was fixed only to find out two years later, while trying to renew my license that it was suspended . I called the court and was told that there was a fine issued and it has been sent to collections .I was never notified of anything do to an address change that was stated on the ticket. I was told to much time has lapsed and I cant request a court date or appeal. The fine is substantial for a fixed fix it ticket is this true and legal? Where is my due process?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Greg Thomas Hill

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The problem is you went to the DMV and not the court, as I bet you understand quite well now. You did not show the court that you paid the registration.

    It is true that the fine for driving without registration is substantial. It is legal. I think you are out of options at this point.

    However, I would talk to Andrew Roberts, an expert in traffic matters. You can do an attorney search on Avvo and ask him. He is the best.

  2. Peter John Marek

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Hill. I also believe it is too late. Yes, the fine is substantial. Call Mr. Roberts, he is listed here on the avvo site. Good luck.

  3. Andrew Stephen Roberts


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Get an attorney to deal with this. There is a failure to appear on your license as you never went to court. This has to be lifted and the matter set for trial. Your license can be suspended if you wait to long.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,640 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,640 answers this week

3,076 attorneys answering